North Coast Wine Co. Outerbound Pinot Noir – WineO Mark Review Wine Stats Grape Variety: 100% Pinot Noir Vintage: 2019 ABV: 14% Wine Region: North Coast,
11 Best Chablis For Every Wine Lover and Wine Drinker
Does the best Chablis mean Chardonnay at its very best? Maybe?!
Chablis wines range from the delicate and refined Petit Chablis to the elegant and complex Grand Cru Chablis. So in this article, we will explore the 11 best Chablis wines that showcase the region’s finest offerings.
Table of Contents
11 Best Chablis Wines
We independently select and recommend the best products. So when you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Also, prices are subject to change by sellers at anytime.
1) Roland Lavantureux Vaudésir Chablis Grand Cru 2019 (Best Grand Cru)
A captivating premium wine that is a stunning expression of Grand Cru. This vintage delivers a harmonious interplay of bright citrus and green apple notes, underpinned by a signature chalky minerality and racy acidity.
Just an amazing white wine that has layered complexity and an elegant structure. Lastly, its poised to evolve gracefully with age.
2) Jean-Paul & Benoit Droin Chablis Premier Cru 'Montée de Tonnerre' 2018 (Best Premier Cru)
Another exceptional wine, this time showing the elegance and depth of Chablis Premier Cru. This vintage enchants with its fragrant bouquet of pears, peaches, citrus zest, and subtle hints of tropical fruits.
Then on the palate, it offers a delightful balance of fresh acidity, some honey, concentrated fruit flavors, and a lingering mineral finish. Thus making it an excellent choice for those seeking a refined Chablis experience.
3) Régnard Grand Régnard Chablis 2020 (Best Overall)
The Régnard Grand Régnard Chablis 2020 is a stunning expression of the region’s terroir. This vintage has an alluring nose of fresh citrus fruits, honey, pear, green apple, and subtle hints of wet stone and chalk. Then on the palate, it is vibrant and mineral-driven, featuring juicy acidity and a long finish. With its complex structure, elegant balance, and intense minerality, this is an outstanding Chablis that will please even the most discerning of wine lovers.
Its my pick for the best overall and one of my favorite white wines!
4) Daniel-Etienne Defaix Chablis Vieilles Vignes 2018 (Good Value)
This from the esteemed Domaine Defaix showcases the best of Chablis old vine fruit. It has an inviting nose of citrus and white flowers, with hints of flint and salinity. On the palate, it offers zesty acidity, a concentrated core of orchard fruits, and a lingering minerality.
This wine is sure to delight with its soft and round mouthfeel, complex flavors, and impeccable balance.
5) Patrick Piuze Terroirs de Chichée Chablis 2019
Another lovely expression of the terroir. On the nose, it reveals notes of grapefruit and lemon, with subtle hints of chalk. Then I get flavors of green apple, honey, and salt. Plus in the mouth I get medium plus acidity and an refreshing minerality that lingers and extends the finish.
6) Christian Moreau Pere & Fils Chablis 2020 (Best Value)
A fantastic QPR wine that showcases the classic characteristics of the region. This vintage exhibits a vibrant nose of green apple, citrus, and white flowers along with its distinctive minerality.
Then on the palate, it offers a lively acidity, crisp citrus, peach, and apple flavors with a refreshing finish and hints of honey. A delightful choice for those seeking a well-balanced and approachable Chablis.
7) Domaine Hamelin Petit Chablis 2019 (Most Affordable)
An inviting and accessible wine that captures the essence of the region in a lighter, more approachable style. This Petit Chablis has a delightful bouquet of lemon zest, green apple, and grapefruit, with a subtle hint of minerality.
Then it delivers a refreshing and lively acidity, crisp fruit flavors, and a clean finish, making it an excellent choice for those looking to enjoy a bright and easy-drinking Chardonnay.
8) Louis Jadot Chablis 2021 (Most Popular)
A well-crafted white wine that reflects the classic charm and sophistication of the region. It has an aromatic nose of green apple, citrus, and a touch of melon. And then its complemented by the distinct chalky minerality that is synonymous with Chablis.
Finally on the palate, it displays a high acidity, crisp and zesty flavors, and a refreshing mineral-driven finish.
9) Domaine William Fèvre Chablis Grand Cru Les Clos (Best High End)
The pinnacle of Chablis winemaking, this white wine offers an intense bouquet of white flowers, lemon, lime, baked apple, pear, and subtle notes of honeyed peach. On the palate, it reveals a complex expression of ripe fruit flavors and pronounced minerality, with a lively acidity that carries through to the finish. Finally, the texture is smooth and creamy, yet fresh with a balance of earthy and fruit flavors. It’s truly an amazing wine!
An exceptional expression of the best of the region and is sure to delight even the most discerning wine connoisseurs.
10) Domaine Laroche Chablis Grand Cru Les Blanchots ‘La Réserve de L’Obédience’ 2019
Another premium white wine from one of the region’s most renowned estates. This vintage is an expression of excellence, offering an aromatic nose of stone fruits and citrus fruits complemented by a distinct mineral character.
Then on the palate, it reveals ripe fruit flavors of peach, apricot, green apple, and lemon with a vibrant acidity that leads to a lingering finish. It’s complex, refreshing, well-balanced, and has a long mineral finish.
Another wine is without a doubt one of the best expressions of the region and should be savored by all serious wine lovers.
11) Louis Michel & Fils Chablis Premier Cru 'Butteaux' 2020 (Best Value Premier Cru)
Another Premier Cru this time from Domaine Louis Michel & Fils. But again its another fantastic expression of the region’s terroir. It offers an inviting nose of pear, lemon, apple, honey, and more citrus fruits, with subtle hints of wet stone and limestone minerality that shine through on the palate.
On the finish, it delivers a medium plus acidity and a lingering finish. Therefore, it makes this wine an ideal choice for those looking to experience a Premier Cru at a good value.
What is Chablis?
Chablis is a famed wine region in the northern part of Burgundy, France, that is renowned for its exquisite Chardonnay wines. The unique terroir of this region, with its cool climate, Kimmeridgian limestone soil, and centuries-old winemaking traditions, produces wines that are crisp, mineral-driven, and capable of aging gracefully.
Classification of Chablis Wines
They are classified into four appellations based on the quality and location of the vineyards:
- Chablis Grand Cru wines are produced from a small number of highly-regarded vineyards with the most favorable terroir, and these wines are known for their elegance, concentration, and long aging potential.
- Chablis Premier Cru wines come from designated vineyards on the slopes with better sun exposure and soil composition, resulting in wines with more complexity and depth.
- Chablis wines made from vineyards with a mix of limestone and clay, are known for their vibrant acidity and classic mineral character.
- Petit Chablis wines come from vineyards with Portlandian limestone soil and are typically the lightest and freshest of the four categories.
What Makes Chablis Special?
These wines are considered special for several reasons, including their unique terroir, grape variety, winemaking traditions, and distinct flavor profile:
- Unique Terroir: It’s located in the northern part of Burgundy, France, characterized by its cool climate and distinctive Kimmeridgian limestone soil. This soil, rich in marine fossils, imparts a notable minerality to the wines, setting them apart from other Chardonnays.
- Grape Variety: Chablis wines are exclusively made from Chardonnay grapes. The cool climate and specific terroir allow Chardonnay to express itself differently than in warmer regions, resulting in wines that are crisp, mineral-driven, and high in acidity.
- Distinct Flavor Profile: These wines are known for their unique flavor profile, which typically features bright citrus, green apple, and pear complemented by a strong minerality and racy acidity. This combination creates a refreshing and elegant wine that has a long lingering finish.
These factors combine to make these wines highly sought after by wine enthusiasts and collectors worldwide, as they offer a distinct and unparalleled expression of Chardonnay.
Chablis vs Chardonnay
Every Chablis (“Shah-blee”) is a Chardonnay. Not every Chardonnay wine is a Chablis. One is a white wine grape varietal and the other one is a wine region.
And even though Chablis is 100% Chardonnay, it might taste polar opposite to what you think Chardonnay tastes like in the US.
Learn more about the similarities and differences about Chablis vs Chardonnay!
- Beginner’s Guide to White Burgundy
- Our Favorite Buttery Chardonnay Wines
- Chardonnay Food Pairings
- Montrachet – Best region for White Wine?
- Sauvignon Blanc vs Pinot Grigio
- Chardonnay vs Sauvignon Blanc
- Best Guide to Viognier Wines
- 23 Best White Wines
- Best White Wine for Cooking
- 15 Best Dry White Wine Varietals
- A Guide to Sauvignon Blanc
- Our Guide to Grüner Veltliner
- Ultimate Guide to Albariño
Böen Pinot Noir – WineO Mark Review Wine Stats Grape Variety: 100% Pinot Noir Vintage: 2021 ABV: 14.6% Wine Region: California Flavor Profile: Cherry, raspberry, blackberry,
Merry Edwards Sauvignon Blanc – WineO Mark Review Wine Stats Grape Variety: 100% Sauvignon Blanc Vintage: 2022 ABV: 14% Wine Region: Russian River Valley, California
The Hess Collection Allomi Chardonnay – WineO Mark Review Wine Stats Grape Variety: 100% Chardonnay Vintage: 2019 ABV: 14.3% Wine Region: Napa Valley, California Flavor Profile:
Stags’ Leap Chardonnay – WineO Mark Review Wine Stats Grape Variety: 100% Chardonnay Vintage: 2022 ABV: 14.1% Wine Region: Napa Valley, California Flavor Profile: Oak, vanilla,
Godeval Cepas Vellas Godello – WineO Mark Review Wine Stats Grape Variety: 100% Godello Vintage: 2021 ABV: 13% Wine Region: Valdeorras, Spain Flavor Profile: Peach,
Félix Solís Mucho Más Tinto N.V. – WineO Mark Review Wine Stats Grape Variety: Tempranillo, Syrah Vintage: Non-Vintage ABV: 14% Wine Region: Spain Flavor Profile: Vanilla,
Zárate Albariño – WineO Mark Review Wine Stats Grape Variety: 100% Albariño Vintage: 2021 ABV: 12.5% Wine Region: Rías Baixas, Spain Flavor Profile: Citrus, grapefruit,